Name:
Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

I believe in the purity, the simplicity of stripping yourself of everything you are, just to attain, or don the role of someone else... it takes a lot to do that, and STILL retain a bit of your own individuality. thats the mark of a great actor.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Excel-lent films

Guess what... I'm diverting...finally...away from my favourite topic- (Me, and my Theatre exploits ):P

I'd like to take a moment and talk about a certain film company, that's been making a certain brand of films, that stand out, not just because of their original ideas, but in the style that they seem to exude, as soon as you see them on screen. I am of course, talking about my favourite Indian filmmaker, Farhan Akhtar, and his company: Excel Entertainment which he began in 2001 , with his producer/friend Ritesh Sidhwani.

Dil Chahta Hai..just these three words bring images, bring shankar-ehsaan-loy's most melodious album, to your head, and every one who's seen this movie even once on seeing the three words I've written... feels like calling up their friends (perhaps considers a trip to Goa :P) among other things. Male bonding, at its finest, urban dosti in its best.

Lakshya...Javed saab, back to what he did best: Screenplays... a journey of a man from what I believe im going through myself just now (Main Aisa Kyun Hun)...to being a proud and patriotic soldier, able to get his Goal in life. Apart from being techincally Farhan's best film, I think the story could have easily been one of the most emotionally poignant ones, ever written... of course high expectations from the audience, for a DCH part 2, made the film flop badly, didn't it? I still have high regard for Farhan's most difficult-to-make movie, and Hrithik's best performance, ever...NO he wasn't that great in KRISSSHH *

DON...The Chase began...my chase ended soon...it was one of the movies I personally wished Farhan hadn't made... it had Excel's style, Excel's class, Farhan's touch, but...i don't know what it was about it, that made me feel, he's gone on a different tangent. Maybe i felt it was a bit too commercial, even in his commercial entertainers, for the people, genre, that I feel Farhan excelled in.

Honeymoon Travels: Not a Farhan film, per se...very light-hearted, very fun to watch, an amazing ensemble of actors, playing an array of interesting characters. Of Course Farhan can't let go of Goa, can he....* i don't tink I can either since i Came back a month earlier*

And now...Rock On...the story seems to be Anurag Kashyap's Paanch, made simpler, and nicer,...the story seems to be Dil Chahta Hain with a Rock Band instead of a college trio....thats what the media keeps tellign us. Farhan's not directing....he's Acting...he's SINGING (and not bad at that )...Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, at their best in home turf, in Excel, .... can't get the songs outa my head... and somehow... with all the build-up, all the negativity, all these ideas that a rock film won't work out here... that its not Farhan directing...still.. I know im expecting a lot from this movie....debut director, still.. its got Farhan's touch to it. I mean, fine, it might not be a major Rock Fan's story, it might not be the film that rockers really flock to...but who cares... its' Excel... its the place where ideas like Dil Chahta Hai was born...it's still a cult favourite...it changed the way movies were made in India... something's gotta give, ain't it?

Next Week: No clue man...im home for the entire week... GIMME A JOB, people! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home